European Cybersecurity Fellowship
Application Deadline: December 20, 2021
Program Start Date: February 1, 2022.
The European Cyber Conflict Research Initiative (ECCRI) is pleased to announce the European Cybersecurity Fellowship. This year-long program attracts and develops highly talented young European professionals who are interested in accelerating their career in cybersecurity policy.
The Fellowship will accept up to 12 fellows from February 1 2022 to January 31 2023.
We are looking for people from a wide variety of backgrounds, including government, civil society, the private sector, journalism and academia, with a strong interest in cyber security and a passion for driving change.
Fellows are able to participate in regular career and skills building workshops run by prominent experts in the field. Session topics include: ‘The do’s and don’ts of writing a good op-ed’; ‘the inner working of EU cyber policy’, ‘making sense of technical threat intelligence’, ‘lessons from the past for Europe’s digital future’, and ‘what content to take down, what to leave up, and why’.
Session speakers include: Toomas Ilves, President of the Republic of Estonia from 2006 to 2016; Eli Sugarman, Content Director at Oversight Board; Nathalie Jaarsma, Dutch Ambassador at-Large for Security Policy and Cyber; Paul Timmers, former Director at the European Commission Directorate for Digital Society, Trust and Cybersecurity; Christian-Marc Lifländer, Head Cyber Defence at NATO; Geoff Belknap, Chief Information Security Officer at LinkedIn; Manon Le Blanc, Senior Policy Officer at European External Action Service. These workshops will be held online on a monthly basis.
Fellows receive support in policy-relevant writing. They will also be able to apply for travel grants to attend major cyber security conferences such as Black Hat Europe and CyCon, gain access to networking events, and receive updates about the latest opportunities in the field.
After graduating from the program, fellows will join ECCRI’s Alumni network, where they will find continued support from the ECCRI team and fellow Alumni in their career development.
Who can apply?
Successful candidates are expected to have a strong interest in cyber security, European policy, and the role of technology in democracy. Successful candidates will have academic aptitude, maturity, strong social skills, flexibility, and open-mindedness.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of a European country
- Reside in a European country
- Be 35 years old or under at the time of application
- Be highly proficient in English
- Demonstrate interest in cyber security and European policy
- Demonstrate a high level academic and/or professional achievement or potential
- Be comfortable with travel and interaction with a multinational, co-ed group of participants from across Europe
Candidates are expected to actively participate in the seminar program and write an 800-1000 word op-ed for placement on a prominent website during their fellowship on a topic related to European cyber security.
There are no application fees. Successful applicants will have travel and lodging costs covered by ECCRI and partners for relevant events.
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following documents to Fellowship@eccri.eu.
- a CV/Resume
- write a 500-800 words essay on one the following questions:
- Is conducting cyber operations an art or a science?
- ‘Algorithms that maximize engagement also maximize enragement’ (Thomas Dullien). Discuss.
- ‘Cyber norms are dead. Long live cyber norms.’ Discuss.
- What cyber policy should NATO implement the coming five years?
- Tell us about an interesting, largely overlooked threat actor, operation, and/or malware. Why is this an interesting case?
The deadline for submitting your completed application is December 20, 2021. We do not accept applications that are incomplete or submitted after the deadline.
ECCRI’s fellowship program is made possible by a grant from the William & Flora Hewlett Foundation
If you would like to support the fellowship program please contact us at Fellowship@eccri.eu.
last updated: 13 December 2021, 7:54 AM.